The International Olympic Committee’s Executive Board (EB) has approved the inclusion of women’s boxing for the Games in London in 2012 and will propose the sports of golf and rugby for inclusion in the 2016 Olympic programme.
The key factors in determining a sport’s suitability for the Olympic programme include youth appeal, universality, popularity, good governance, respect for athletes and respect for the Olympic values. “Golf and rugby scored high on all the criteria,” .........“They have global appeal, a geographically diverse line-up of top iconic athletes and an ethic that stresses fair play.”
On a more amusing, note how about some other suggestions for some other event to be included, such as.....
What is the best sport?
Here is a selection ...
1. Football (or sometimes called Soccer... for some reason... by Americans mainly)
2. Rugby (Union or League - played by "real men" (supposedly who are gentlemen) with a very odd shaped ball to boot)
3. Cricket (Traditionally an English game old chap, it's rules however can be a little confusing.
4. Tennis & other games involving a net... badminton, volleyball... ping pong.... even squash without a net!.... basketball.. handball.. water polo..
5. Racing .. including cars, motorbikes, motor cross, pedal power and even horses.
6. American Football.... (Rugby with extra padding and the ball can be passed forwards. Grid Iron!
7. Baseball (Rounders really.... for grown ups!)
8. Golf ... One man and a small ball verses the countryside
9. Hockey ... either on or not on ice... fast and furious ...!
10. Swimming... all over in a splash... outside in the sea...
11. Contact ... boxing, judo, karate...
12. Track and field.... running, jumping, throwing....
13. Skiing and mountaineering.... other extreme sports
What do you think? ... How about some others... ?
Let me have your ideas...